Friday, September 02, 2005

My Left Foot

Well, I had surgery on the 31st of August and all went well. Some pain (mostly incisional). I'm trying not to take any pain medication since it mostly makes me queasy and does little for my actual pain. My foot has a compression bandage on it covered by a boot for support. I'm allowed to be full weight bearing but I've been using crutches these first few days. From the cysts that were removed, I was diagnosed with Maffucci's Syndrome which is:

"(Angelo Maffucci, 1847-1903, Italian physician), nonhereditary condition with enchondromatosis, multiple cavernous haemangiomas and deformity. The radiological appearances of the bones are similar to Ollier's Disease but in addition there are soft tissue swellings around the bony lesions with multiple phleboliths".

Basically, I have the enchrondromatosis (tumors in my femur and tibia), multiple haemangiomas (cysts) but no deformities of my bones. Most known cases of Maffucci's syndrome show severe deformity of the bone that is affected. Unfortunately, my MD has not had very much experience with this syndrome. He states that there is a 100% chance of it becoming malignant some time during my life and that I will need long-term follow up testing to monitor its progression. From what I have been reading, there is only a 20-30% chance of this turning malignant. My MD is, however, sending my frozen cysts to the MAYO clinic to a pathologist who hopefully knows more about this syndrome.

No comments: