Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ache

Lately, a lot of people have been asking me if I am STILL breastfeeding as if it were some kind of burden to them. Yes I am! Going on 15 months. Even my pediatrician seems to feel the need to talk to me about weaning and stopping (someone who obviously knows very little on the subject)! And just to set the record straight, I am weaning! Just very very s..l..o..w..l..y. I plan on sticking with it for quite a while longer. After all, I'm not working. What else have I got to do that I can't stop for 15 minutes a couple of times a day and spend some one-on-one quiet time with my precious little baby. He won't be this small much longer. It's a perfect way to stop what I'm doing, slow the clock a little, and cherish every moment.

The idea of stopping makes my heart ache so much. I can not bear the thought of not doing it. Stopping means that he is growing up and I want to enjoy his smallness as long as I can. I know after I-guy, I will never breastfeed again and breastfeeding both of my children has been one of the greatest joys in my life. I can't begin to explain the closeness and deep bonding you feel when you snuggle up with your child and began to nourish them in this way. It is my body that fills his body up with delicious nutrients and love. I know I can give them nourishment and love in so many other ways, but nothing is as personal and totally of myself. Super E watches me feed I-guy sometimes and I know he feels the importance of it. He hears the stories of our breastfeeding experience and I hope he will carry it with him always. I can't think of a better gift or more important way to start a babies life out. Giving completely of yourself as a mother, protector and provider.

I know breastfeeding won't last forever, but for now, we are very happy doing what we're doing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop only when the two of you are ready - ignore all outside pressure and I love love love the photos!

Anonymous said...

Good for you (and your baby :). Lovely pics, and I always told people that the World health Organiztion reccomends at least two years of breastfeeding! It doesn't last long, keep enjoying this time.

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post, so I don't know if you'll see this comment, but I love that you are still breastfeeding. I want to do it as long as George wants to. It is one of my most favourite things as a mother, the breastfeeding.