Saturday, August 13, 2005

No sleep again!

There goes sleeping in on Saturday morning. Ethan actually slept in until 7:30 (his usual time is 6:45-7:00am) , but Isaak tossed and turned all night wanting to breast feed. At 6:45 I finally changed his diaper and was wide awake. Isaak went back to sleep of course while we quietly awaited Ethan's usual burst through the bedroom doors...45 minutes later. Sleep just doesn't come easy 'round these parts. It's just something we are gonna have to face: Our boys do not like to sleep at night!

Isaak had pureed carrots for dinner last night. He absolutely loved them. He was shaking with anticipation of each bite. My new goal in life is for Isaak to love vegetables as much as I do (afterall, we ARE vegetarians) . Unfortunately, my other child seems to be taking on the eating preferences of his father- pasta, bread, cheese, beans and mock meats- no veggies please. I will never give up trying! You never know what a little patient persistence might do. I might actually end up with two vegetable loving children. Ah- one can only keep dreaming!

Here is an update of both my children's growth statistics. For being little veggie babies. I'd have to say they are not starving in the least- they are growing quite well!

Isaak's 5 1/2 month visit: Wt- 21lbs 6oz (96th percentile)
Ht- 28 inches ( 95th percentile)
Head circumference- 45 inches (85th percentile)

Ethan's 4 year visit: Wt- 41 lbs 4oz (95th percentile)
Ht- 42 inches (75th percentile)

Yes, I do have big boys. We can only wait and see if they stay that way. Ethan is already thinning out despite his 95th percentile ranking. He's very slender and solid- just like his daddy.

Now back to the carrot puree. I have to mention that I bought the coolest little ice trays with lids. I just cooked a bag of organic, sweet baby carrots in a small amount of water for about 15 minutes (with the lid on) , then whizzed them a few times in my food processor until they were nice and creamy. Next, I just spooned the carrot puree into my wonderful little ice trays (two of them) popped the lids on (for safe keeping) and froze them. After frozen, I just popped the cubes into a freezer bag and wha-la! 24 perfect little baby servings of carrot puree. I've already done this with breastmilk and plan to do much much more!! Another great thing about the frozen carrot cubes is that I can pop several cubes into store bought spaghetti sauce for added nutritional value- Ethan will never know. So sneaky.

No comments: